Festival News Update July 19, 2012
Aurora jazz+ Festival 2012 News Stories
Festival growth –Three (3) stages this year – Introducing the Enbridge Stage (mobile); the Long & McQuade Stage (Band Shell) and the MasterCut Stage – in the Baseball Diamond!
Introducing more interactive activities in the Park: Fly a Kite… Shoot a Ball…. Walk on Water…. Try a Guitar… Make a Drum… Embrace the Drama and try Improv… Paint with Judy, Read My Lips… (make-up) Create a Mandela! Laughter and Zumba!
Breaking News Stories –
* The Honourable Minister Michael Chan – Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport will attend the 4th annual Aurora jazz+ Festival 8:30 pm Saturday - August 4th – accompanied by MP Lois Brown and other local dignitaries
* Canadian legendary band – The Cocksure Lads will perform at 9pm Sunday August 5th – featuring Murray Foster (bassist for The Great Big Sea) Surprise!!
1) Walk a Block - The Greening of the Festival this year includes encouraging patrons to walk a block from the Go Station to the Park rather than drive.
2) GO to the 2012 Festival! GO Trains and Buses now come to Aurora on festival weekend. Encourage friends and family from the GTA to take the Go! Torontonians – escape the big city hustle and enjoy the green in Town Park. It’s just a GO ride away.
3) Aurora jazz PLUS is the Only Top 100 music/art Festival of York Region for 2012. We celebrate our Independent Entertainers and Artists, salute our local arts and culture, care for community charities and bring arts and culture alive in the heart of York Region…
4) Festival introduces Peace in the Park on Sunday August 5th at noon – sponsored by The Gathering Place. We invite you to the festival early and bless the arts in York Region.
5) Free Art & Music Workshops offered at the Aurora Cultural Centre on Sunday, August 5th from 11- 1pm enjoy a Music Workshop with My Jam Space – Gaga-Rock; Theatre Aurora presents “Intro to Improv” Get into the Act!; and Embrace the Artist within with visual art paintings “Black & White & Colour ” with artist Judy Sherman; Sound your own environmentally friendly drum with Enviro-Drums presented by Jeff Salem of Drums In You!
6) Saturday August 4th Festival at the Aurora Farmers Market -10am Aurora jazz+ Festival presents – Laughter Yoga with Melanie Moulin- laugh with us! ..Followed by a Free Zumba Class with Sandra Corrado , then relax and enjoy the dance of talented Jaymor Dancers.
7) Want to Walk on Water? What a Ball is in the Park! Kids up to 18 years…enjoy!
8) Drum Circle – Be part of the Largest Ever Drum Circle in York Region – on Sunday August 5th – bring your drum and be there around 4-4:30 – presented by Shaw Percussion, Rhythmic by Nature…Suzanne Smoke..With help from Jeff Salem of Drums In You.
9) Mandela: David Rankine invites you to help complete the festival’s 2012 Mandela – community dreams come alive in our spiritual Mandela – check it out and take part!
10) Paint-Inn – Express your self – do some interactive art in the Park with festival artists.
11) Meet a Ham… York Region Amateur Radio Operators are on site…They would love to teach you how to communicate around the world and be ready for any emergency. They have classes coming up for you!
12) The Festival is Tap-d in with York Region Water Truck on Site! Keeps us green – bring refillable bottles or buy one in the park. Thank you Tap-d in!
13) Line-Up Musical Stars i.e. New York Chart Topper Smooth Jazz Guitarist – Rob Tardik has new album out; local singers Stacey Kaniuk, Julian Troiano, Jamie Miller; local bands Six Ways to Sunday, Manatee Band, After Hours Big Band and North of Dixie! Toronto Bands – Juice, K.C. Roberts, Sounds Caribbean and the Astro Droids.. . Musical Concert by Boogie Boy Blues providing interactive music for the kids on Sunday….
14) Visual Artists – So many stories to tell about the talented Visual Artists we have in the area and their classes, workshops and all that jazz… Judy Sherman, Eva Folks, Deborah Campo, Graham Ames, Quincy Morrison….David Rankine and the list goes on. Visit a Visual Artist and support local artists.
15) The Two Charities we Support – Safehaven and CCAA – They do so much for so many in our communities. This year we are also supporting Sick Kids through the Big Grill donations.
16) Hope to have a booth with Aurora Minor Hockey Association Shoot out area… TBA
17) Doggies in the Park – Paws in the Bath…dog water stations, products & care – …Doggie Blankets &.Cookies will also be available in the park.
18) Hippo Garden – Cooling Station ….TBA we are working on providing patrons a great place to cool down. Hope to have a misting station for you to stay cool!
19) Aurora Seniors will be on hand assisting at our Community Booth – Come and get more information about what is happening in the area! Thank you ASA!
20) Economic Impact Study being done by Enigma via Festival and Events Ontario funding from OTF. We will know how the festival impacts the area economically to assist in garnering more federal, provincial and municipal support.
21) Announcing –an ATM machine on site to assist our patrons and our vendors!
22) The Aurora Festival of the Arts 2012 Board – We enjoy a fabulous Board of Directors and Advisory Board who are actively dedicated to the festival. We’re also pleased to be working with several Interns this year: Our Administrative Assistants: Steff, Leigh, Serena, Andrew and Allison!
We are grateful: Thanks to Sponsors &Community Support, to all Community members who have been there for the arts/festival since the beginning. Canadian Heritage – Building Communities Grant; Enbridge Gas – All of our Sponsors! Please see sponsors page!
Thanks also to Local leaders like MP Lois Brown and MPP Frank Klees for their continued support of the festival and the arts and for taking part in the Who Dunn-It Art Gallery!
Thanks to all our dedicated Volunteers and Festival Friends!
Next Year 2013 our Fifth Year!! Aurora jazz+ Festival August 2, 3, 4 & 5 – A four (4) day event – Celebrating Arts, Music & Heritage in Town Park – Friday to Monday!!
Growth: King Festival is coming - Father’s Day – King City